From March 29 to April 1, Xi Jinping visited Zhejiang Province, his home base before he rose to power. From 2002 to 2007, before he became the Shanghai Party Chief and then moved to the CCP Central Committee, Xi was the Zhejiang Provincial Chinese Communist Party (CCP) Secretary. Many Zhejiang officials were later promoted and they were called the “Zhejiang New Army” (之江新军) for Xi.
Xinhua gave a lengthy report about Xi’s visit with many pictures to describe his trip and the places he visited. In the later part of the report, it outlined the directions that Xi gave on the future work. It can be summarized in two areas:
- Pandemic prevention and control – stress is to be placed against external imported cases: “China faces a significant increase in the risk of pandemic imports from overseas. (We) must firmly adhere to externally defending against imported infections and internally defend against infection recurrence. … In particular, we must increase the management of asymptomatic infections. … We must take strict preventative measures against overseas pandemic imports as the top priority of current and long-term pandemic prevention and control, strengthen the relevance and effectiveness of prevention and control measures, and build a solid line of defense against the risks of overseas pandemic imports.
- The economy – stress taking the opportunity to develop the economy: “Crises and opportunities exist together. Overcoming the crises will present opportunities to us. The global wide spread of the coronavirus has severely impacted international economic and trade activities. (We) should, under the precondition of taking care of pandemic prevention, orderly and effectively speed up the resuming of production and business. … (We) should seize the opportunities of digitization, accelerate the construction of new infrastructure such as 5G networks and data centers, and step up the deployment of strategic emerging industries and future industries such as the digital economy, life health, and new materials, strengthen new growth points and form new momentum for development.”
Related postings on Chinascope:
- Leadership: Li Keqiang Warned the Coronavirus Risk in China and Asked to Manage the Asymptomatic Carriers
- Leadership: Li Keqiang Asked Officials Not to Hide Data and Prepare for a Long-Lasting Work
- Leadership: The Widespread of a WeChat Posting Calling for Politburo Meeting to Remove Xi Jinping
- Leadership: Beijing May Hold “Lianghui” (“The Two Conferences”) in Late April or Early May
- Leadership – Xi Jinping’s Fake Wuhan Show
Excerpt in Chinese:
Source: Xinhua, April 1, 2020