Skip to content

US-China Relations - 3. page

LTN: U.S. Businesses Consider Leaving Hong Kong

Major Taiwanese news network Liberty Times Network (LTN) recently reported that, according to a member survey that the American Chamber of Commerce conducted in Hong Kong, around 53 percent of its members are considering leaving Hong Kong in the future, either near-term or mid-term. The survey was designed specifically to measure the impact of the Hong Kong National Security Law and the U.S. sanctions that followed. The survey sampled a total of 154 member companies of the Chamber. Most (55.84 percent) of the members recognized the long-term competitiveness of the Hong Kong based U.S. companies to be the top priority to evaluate. According to undisclosed sources, after the new law and the new U.S. sanctions, most of the “high net-worth individuals” in Hong Kong have not yet moved their money out of the city. They are still observing and evaluating the changes on local asset prices and the potential long-term business environment under the Mainland’s control. However, many of the wealthy people have completed the preparation work for a swift money move, such as opening off-shore bank accounts, obtaining overseas passports, and other means.

Source: LTN, August 13, 2020
https://ec.ltn.com.tw/article/breakingnews/3259577

CCP Controlled Media Attacked Zuckerberg

The U.S. Congress held a hearing on the how the Chinese government steals U.S. Technology. Mark Zuckerberg, the co-founder of Facebook, was the only CEO among the four at the hearing who stated firmly that China definitely steals U.S. technology.

As a result, an article criticizing Zuckerberg was published widely on Chinese media. The Chinese Communist Party (CCP) controls all media in China. The article was titled, “This ‘TikTok Slaughter Battle’ completely tore off Zuckerberg’s mask as the ‘Chinese people’s good son-in-law.’” Since the parents of Zuckerberg’s wife Priscilla Chan were Chinese refugees who fled Vietnam, Beijing had been calling Zuckerberg “the Chinese people’s good son-in-law.”

The article said that Mark Zuckerberg (of Facebook), Tim Cook of Apple, Sundar Pichai of Google, and Jeff Bezos of Amazon participated in the hearing remotely.

A congressman asked, “Do you think that the Chinese government steals U.S. technologies?”

Cook, “No.”

Pichai, “No.”

Bezos, “I only heard it on newspaper, but it didn’t happen to Amazon.”

Zuckerberg, “I believe that China’s stealing technology from U.S. tech companies is well-documented.”

The article then said that Zuckerberg had tried many things for several years to get Beijing to let Facebook enter China, but after he could not do it, he revealed his true face and, last year, became hostile towards China.

The article blamed him for having a double standard when closing several Facebook accounts, which Zuckerberg said to be connected to the Chinese government, for spreading “fake news” about Hong Kong; for using the “China threat” theory to promote his virtual currency; and for trying to destroy TikTok, his rival.

Source: 163.com, August 4, 2020
https://news.163.com/20/0804/14/FJ6NPPE60001899O.html

Western Media Support “Marxist Journalism” School in China

The National Pulse reported that Several U.S. corporations and media companies have been supported Tsinghua University’s Global Business Journalism School. However, that school aims to produce journalists who adhere to the Chinese Communist Party’s (CCP’s) standards of “Marxist Journalism” (applying Marxist theory to journalism).

The school’s financial supporters include Bank of America, Bloomberg, Deloitte, and the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation. Tsinghua University also claims the following Western media provide “talent, equipment, and internships” as part of a “long history of cooperation” with Tsinghua: The New York Times, CNN, Financial Times, Reuters, and Bloomberg.

An introductory letter to Tsinghua’s Global Business Journalism School outlines its purpose: to accomplish the “tasks for news media” outlined by the CCP Central Committee. The Dean of the journalism school indicated: “We should be committed to a firm and correct political orientation. Our school has been actively exploring the theory and practices of Marxist Journalism, namely, to applying Marxist theory in observing the world and in selecting and handling news production.”

As a result, alumni of the program frequently go on to work for the CCP’s main media outlets, including China Central Television (CCTV), Xinhua News Agency, China Daily, and the People’s Daily.

Source: The National Pulse, July 31, 2020

EXCLUSIVE: CNN and the New York Times Support Chinese Communist-Funded ‘Marxist Journalism’ School

Global Times: Trump’s “Black Hand” on WeChat Now Worries Apple

Global Times recently reported that the U.S. presidential order to ban TikTok and WeChat in 45 days has triggered U.S. domestic concerns on damages it can cause to U.S. product sales in the Chinese market. For example, Bloomberg had a report expressing the worry that the Trump ban on all transactions related to WeChat may disallow Apple from offering WeChat in its AppStore. As most people know, WeChat has penetrated very deeply into the day-to-day life of the Chinese population. It is the top app that over one billion people use widely for shopping, payments, and other daily activities in commerce and gaming. Without being able to download WeChat from its AppStore, Chinese consumers may not want to buy an iPhone any more. The Chinese market takes 20 percent of the iPhone’s total sales. Losing WeChat can be a big obstacle for Apple to sell iPhones. Additionally, Trump’s order may cause retaliation from the Chinese government on the sides of manufacturing capacity and raw material supply (like rare earth metals). Huawei cellphones may turn out to benefit from this new ban.

Source: Global Times, August 8, 2020
https://world.huanqiu.com/article/3zNvyYZpKNx

U.S. Embassy in Beijing Offers Reward for Information on Interference in U.S. Elections

On August 5, 2020, the U.S. Embassy in Beijing posted a media notice on its websites in both Chinese and English.

The Chinese media notice mentioned the U.S. Department of State’s Rewards for Justice (RFJ) program, which the Diplomatic Security Service administers. It is offering a reward of up to $10 million for information leading to the identification or location of any person who works with or for a foreign government who uses certain illegal cyber activities for the purpose of interfering with U.S. elections.

The Chinese media notice provides a link to the English media notice which contains more details.

Source:
U.S. Embassy in Beijing, August 5, 2020
https://china.usembassy-china.org.cn/zh/reward-offer-for-information-on-foreign-interference-in-u-s-elections-zh/;
https://china.usembassy-china.org.cn/reward-offer-for-information-on-foreign-interference-in-u-s-elections/

Tencent’s Stock Tumbled after Trump Banned WeChat

Well-known Chinese news site Sina (NASDAQ: SINA) recently reported that, as soon as U.S. President Trump officially signed the executive order to ban WeChat (in 45 days), the stock price of WeChat’s owner, Tencent, instantly suffered a free fall of 10 percent on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange (HKSE). The loss of market value was the equivalent of HK$500 billion (around US$64.5 billion). In the meantime, the bad news also brought down SMIC (China’s largest chip maker) by over ten percent, Alibaba by six percent, and Xiaomi by five percent. These were all happening with the background of Mike Pompeo’s repetitive mention of the so-called Clean 5G Network plan on August 5. This is part of the U.S. effort to remove Chinese-made “untrusted” apps from the U.S. digital networks. The Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs expressed its strong opposition to these unfair political moves designed solely to sustain the U.S. monopoly in the high-tech industry. The new U.S. executive orders are directly against market rules and are a threat to the safety of the global supply chain.

Source: Sina, August 7, 2020
https://finance.sina.com.cn/stock/hkstock/marketalerts/2020-08-07/doc-iivhuipn7334222.shtml

People Cheer as China Closes U.S. Consulate in Chengdu

On Friday July 24, after China announced the closure of the U.S. consulate general in Chengdu, China’s official media, including CCTV  began broadcasting live images outside the consulate on social media platforms. At the peak, more than 20 million people were watching. The state media showed images of trucks leaving the U.S. consulate, while the signs and nameplates on the outer wall of the consulate were being removed. Many people went to the consulate for a visit. Some of them held Chinese flags and tried to take a picture in front of the consulate. Dozens of police officers were stationed outside the consulate. They asked onlookers not to stay and tried to stop any provocative behavior. Fire trucks were also at the scene to prevent possible accidents. One man was taken into police custody because he was shouting, “China Add Oil (Go China)! I am a Chinese.” The police fined another man because he tried to light a fire cracker outside the consulate. When a bus with brown tinted glass left the consulate, the onlookers started booing. One 63-year-old man told Reuters that closing the consulate was a reciprocal action that China took against the US. Another video circulating online showed a man between 50 and 60 years old choked up. He said, “The U.S. should be a friend.” Many others were afraid to speak to the media and refused to be interviewed.

In this diplomatic war between the U.S. and China, Zhuang Zuyi, the wife of Jim Mullinax, the American consulate general in Chengdu, and a Taiwanese food writer was also accidentally involved. Zhuang often writes on Weibo about food and life in Chengdu and never hides her love for Sichuan province. She has performed on the street of Chengdu and has close to 600,000 followers on Weibo. Since the news of the closure of the Chengdu consulate, Zhuang’s social media account has been flooded with thousands of angry comments calling her “spy” and “Taiwan Independent.”

The US Embassy in China posted a video and wrote on its official Twitter account on Monday, July 27, “Today, we bid farewell to the U.S. Consulate in Chengdu. We will always miss you.” People commented that they appreciated the help from the US. They are hoping for a free China and are looking forward to the return of the consulate back in Chengdu in the near future.

Source:
1. BBC Chinese, July 27, 2020
https://www.bbc.com/zhongwen/simp/world-53549963

2. Epoch Times, July 27, 2020
https://www.epochtimes.com/gb/20/7/27/n12286212.htm