Global Times recently reported that, on May 19th local time, the Canadian government banned Huawei and ZTE from participating in Canada’s 5G network construction, citing national security reasons. Huawei Canada responded by saying that the company was “obviously disappointed” by Canada’s move. The Canadian Minister of Innovation, Science and Industry announced in Ottawa the decision to ban so-called “high-risk suppliers” from participating in building Canada’s 5G network. Under the decision, Canadian telecommunications companies will not be allowed to use any products or services that include these Chinese companies in their networks, and companies that have installed the equipment will be required to stop using it and remove the equipment. The Canadian federal government has indicated that it wants to see the Canadian telecommunications industry stop procuring new 4G or 5G equipment and services from Huawei and ZTE by September 2022, end the use of any new or existing 5G equipment and services from Huawei and ZTE by June 2024, and stop using any new or existing 4G equipment and services from Huawei and ZTE by December 2027. The Canadian federal government also said it would submit some new legislation shortly to amend Canada’s Telecommunications Act. The government says the bill will support Canada’s telecommunications system against national security risks in the financial, telecommunications, energy and transportation sectors. Previously, on the issue of Huawei, Canada was the only member of the “Five Eyes” alliance that had not formally expressed its position on how to treat Huawei. The Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in October last year that Canada should uphold an objective and impartial attitude and independently make choices that suit its own interests.
Source: Global Times, May 20, 2022