A Chinese netizen posted an article describing store closures in the key areas of Shanghai. The article provides an angle on the run-down economy of Shanghai as well as throughout broader China.
The author gave examples of three sites, representing small, mid-sized, and large retail stores.
- Shanghai Train Station: There used to be many small stores selling stationery, mobile phone covers, clothes, etc., along its underground tunnel. These stores are now closed.
- Hongqiao Train Station: There used to be many mid-sized stores, but most of them are now closed. The train station was hot and the author wondered if the authority couldn’t even afford air conditioning there.
- Nanjing Road Pedestrian Street: This is a premium shopping district in Shanghai with many large retail stores. Zhidi Square Plaza, a landmark retail plaza, was closed, with some stores at upper level of the plaza still open.
1. Central News Agency (Taiwan), July 24, 2023
2. Have8.tv (copy of the original posting)