On the eve of China’s National Day, Xi Jinping published an article outlining six directives for promoting “Chinese-style modernization”:
- First: top-level design and self-reliance are preconditions for China’s being able to open up to the outside world. Xi said that promoting Chinese-style modernization requires comprehensive planning and systematic implementation. It involves both top-level design to meet development goals and bold exploration.
- Second: adhere to strategies long-term rather than changing course arbitrarily.
- Third: defend previous accomplishments while innovating to uphold Chinese characteristics and principles.
- Fourth: balance efficiency and fairness, creating higher efficiency than capitalism while safeguarding social justice.
- Fifth: achieve a dynamic balance between vigor and order, stimulating creativity while preventing undesirable values.
- Sixth: prioritize self-reliance and strengthen national scientific capabilities, looking to [the country’s] strategic needs as the guide for original research and winning key technology battles.
Source: Central News Agency (Taiwan), September 30, 2023