Beijing Morning News reported that. on its 30th year anniversary, the China Association of Marriage and Family Studies (CAMF) published the results of a survey conducted in 2010 among 30,000 families on their opinions on marriage and family. The results showed that the younger generation tends to seek fun, benefits, and material gain from marriage.
Survey results showed that
1) 70 percent of the people surveyed believe that the “woman should marry for wealth rather than having to work hard for a living by herself;
2) 80 percent of those surveyed accept matchmaking due to young people’s limited social networks and the limited time they have;
3) The concept of “compatible social and economic status” remains an important factor in marriage selection;
4) 40 percent showed tolerance towards extra-marital affairs;
5) More successful career women are choosing to remain single, which impacts the problem of China’s aging population.
Source: Xinhua, November 29, 2011