Hua Chunying and Zhao Lijian, the spokespeople for China’s Foreign Ministry said on their Twitter accounts that China had sent its donations of medical supplies to Italy and the Italian people were so grateful to China that some even played China’s National Anthem.
The Italian media Linkiesta published an article titled, “Enough. Thank you!” The article said that what the Chinese officials tweeted was fake news. China did send supplies to Italy, but those were not China’s donation to Italy. Rather they were what Italy bought from China after its Foreign Minister had a discussion with China’s Foreign Minister (because China had face masks and protective clothing for its own use).
The article asked the Italian government to respond to the fake news.
Related postings on Chinascope:
- Propaganda and Lies: Chinese Bots Flooded Twitter to Spread That U.S. Is the Origin of the Coronavirus
- Propaganda and Lies: People’s Daily Commentary: “Must Resist the Poison of Stigmatization”
- Propaganda and Lies: Geng Shuang, A Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Said U.S. “Stigmatizes” China
- Propaganda and Lies: Pompeo Called Yang Jiechi
- Propaganda and Lies: China’s Propaganda Machine Spread Zhao Lijian’s Accusation of the U.S.
Excerpt in Chinese:
Source: Radio France International, March 16, 2020