Epoch Times published an article pointing out that a growing number of biotech, genomics, and med-tech firms that have ties to the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) are operating in the United States, raising security concerns about American citizens’ medical and genetic data.
The article listed several Chinese companies as examples:
- China’s Lepu Biopharma Co. 0pened its U.S. branch Innocube Bioscience, Inc. in Texas. Beijing’s sovereign wealth fund, the State Development and Investment Corporation (SDIC), heavily invests in Lepu.
- BeiGene, a Chinese pharmaceutical and research firm located in San Mateo, California, conducts research on targeted molecular agents related to gene sequencing. The company’s research center in China has received significant local government funding.
- The PLA-linked BGI Group purchased Complete Genomics, a California-based company that holds the genetic information of U.S. citizens. Several of China’s sovereign wealth funds have invested in the company.
- The Chinese firm WuXi Pharma Tech acquired U.S. genomic information company NextCODE Health in 2015.
- Also In 2015, IuXi Biologics, bought a stake in an American DNA testing company, 23andMe. WuXi Biologics now has locations in Massachusetts and New Jersey. Its drug plant in Delaware was built with a Chinese government grant.
- WuXi Advanced Therapies (WuXi ATU) announced the opening of a cell and gene therapy testing facility in the Philadelphia Navy Yard in November 2021.
The article also said that U.S. money has aided the CCP’s infiltration of the U.S. bio and medical industries. Last month, Chinese firm Andon Health Co. received a $1.28 billion contract from the U.S. Army Contracting Command to supply COVID-19 self-test kits. A subsidiary of Andon, iHealth Labs, signed a contract with the New York State Department of Health in December for $120 million worth of self-test kits.
Source: Epoch Times, February 7, 2022