#1: Recently, Pew Research Center conducted a survey of Americans on their opinion of China. The results showed that 66 percent of people have negative views, including 62 percent of Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents and 72 percent of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents. 26 percent of people report a favorable attitude. This is the highest percentage of negative views recorded since the Pew Research Center began asking the question in 2005.
About nine-in-ten U.S. adults see China’s power and influence as a threat – including 62 percent who say it is a major threat. While the total portion that sees China’s power and influence as a threat has not changed significantly since the question was last asked in 2018, the share perceiving China as a major threat has increased 14 percentage points since 2018. (Pew Research)
#2: Between April 3 and April 5, the Harris Poll conducted a survey online of 1,993 people around the U.S. Only 23 percent of those people surveyed said that Xi Jinping was a trustworthy source of information related to the covid-19 outbreak, with Republicans and Democrats sharing the same view. The White House and the U.S. media rated 53 and 60 percent in trustworthiness, respectively, with Republicans tending to support the former and Democrats the latter.
Ninety percent of Republicans said the Chinese government is responsible for the spread of the virus, compared to 67 percent of Democrats.
While 71 percent of Republicans responded that China should pay other countries in some way for the damage done because of the outbreak, only 41 percent of Democrats felt that way.
A firm majority of Republicans, 66 percent, said Trump should take an even tougher position on China than he currently does. Among Democrats, 38 percent said Trump should be tougher, 23 percent said he should be softer and 38 percent said he has it about right. (Washington Post)
Related postings on Chinascope:
- World Against CCP: Open Letter to Advocate an Open and Free China and Stop Supporting CCP
- World Against CCP: BILD Editor-in-Chief Response to Xi Jinping
- World Against the CCP: Sichuan Citizen and Politicians from U.S., U.K, Brazil, Australia, and Italy Criticized the CCP
- World Against CCP: Call The Coronavirus “CCP Virus”
- World Against CCP: Nigel Farage: Time to “Rethink the West’s Relationship with China”
1. Source: Pew Research, April 21, 2020
2. Source: Washington Post, April 8, 2020