On May 13, the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Department of Homeland Security issued a warning that Chinese hackers and spies were using the coronavirus pandemic as a cover to shield their clandestine cyberattacks. The hackers attempted to steal research on the coronavirus, including the vaccine, the treatment, testing, and public health information.
On May 14, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo denounced China for its hacking activities. “The United States condemns attempts by cyber actors and non-traditional collectors affiliated with the People’s Republic of China to steal US intellectual property and data related to COVID-19 research. The United States calls on the PRC to cease this malicious activity.”
Related postings on Chinascope:
- World Against the CCP: U.S. May Break the CCP’s Great Firewall by November
- World Against the CCP: Italian Congress Held Hearings on the Administration’s Pro-CCP Position
- World Against the CCP: A Chinese Top Think Tank Warned Beijing about Global Anti-China Sentiment
- World Against the CCP: A Survey Showed 82 Percent of Chinese Netizen Chose to Support the U.S.
- World Against the CCP: Survey Showed Two-Thirds Americans View CCP Negatively
Source: New York Post, May 14, 2020