From May 21 to May 27 and May 22 to May 28, respectively, the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) is holding its “Lianghui,” or the “Two Conferences,” which stands for the National People’s Congress (NPC) and the National Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference (NCPPCC). The “Lianghui” is a rubber stamp process to show there is “democracy” in China: the representatives of the people in the country can review, approve, and comment on the work of the central government and can make decisions about the personnel in the committees of the NPC and the NCPPCC.
Around the same time, Xu Zhangrun, a Tsinghua Professor, wrote a lengthy article, listing the CCP’s errors in handling the coronavirus, running the country, and holding a prejudiced ideology. He called for political reform and true democracy in China. His article was widely spread on the Internet though the CCP continues to delete it.
Professor Xu’s article makes the following main points:
- (The Regime’s) Politics is (to rule by) Fear, to (Survive) Disasters, and to (have Being be the) Savior
- There is an Interdependence between the Savage State and Totalitarian Politics
- (Although it is a Big Country, China Is Only) a Small Country in Human Civilization
- (The Concept that the CCP Promotes) a “Community of a Shared Future for Mankind” No Longer Exists
- Ideological Prejudice is opposed to a Rational State of Good Governance
- A Political Foundation (should be) Based on Truth and Responsibility
On the last point, Xu further listed eight points for the government to start implementing, to “avoid the disaster from happening again”:
- Reveal the true history, completely investigate the cause and the origin of the novel coronavirus, and provide the actual infection data to the public.
- Thoroughly go after the accountability including the highest political responsibility (of the officials) and order (them) to apologize to the people for their crimes and hand them over to justice.
- Release all innocent citizens including citizen “reporters” (people who reported the true pandemic outbreak situation on their own since the news reporters of the government-controlled media were not allowed to do so), human rights attorneys, religious leaders, and people who were against the authorities’ violence; stop persecuting university professors who tell the truth.
- Select a site in Wuhan to build a “2020 Crying Wall,” engraving the names, gender, and birth and death dates of all victims of this pandemic.
- Select a site in Wuhan to build a “Righteous People Statue” for the eight whistleblowers (they told others about the Coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan but the authorities punished them) and for the one person “who handed out the whistle” (referring to Aifen who provided the infection information to the whistleblowers) to promote citizen’s integrity and public justice.
- Require the government to set up a special fund for the orphans whose parents died of coronavirus or died for treating the virus; however, this fund should not cover the orphans of the Internet police who died from overwork from deleting people’s posting on the Internet.
- Establish “Dr. Li Wenliang’s Day,” or China’s “Freedom of Speech Day,” to let all citizens remember the Constitution’s declaration of citizens’ rights to freedom of speech.
- Stop the Internet policing policy; remove the Internet Information Office’s power to violate citizen’s privacy and freedom of speech and power to admonish teachers, doctors, and writers for their thoughts; establish a law to expose officials’ assets; abolish all CCP organizations and their affiliated organizations in academic and education institutes; immediately stop the nationwide practice of forced-abolition of people’s homes and return the ownership of land back to the citizens (the CCP claims that the land belongs to the government). Further, stop the ban on establishing private media and non-CCP parties and establish a one-person-one-vote system. In all, start political reform and publish a political reform timetable.
Related postings on Chinascope:
- Public Opinion: An Open Letter with Fifteen Questions Challenging the Current Top Leader
- Public Opinions: “Four Not-Anticipated”
- Public Opinion: Netizens Relay-Posted “The Person Who Handed out Whistles” Article
- Public Opinion: Refusing to Remain Silent Any Longer, a Wuhan Youngman Decided to Speak for the Died
- Public Opinion: People Creatively Protested Government’s “Be Grateful” Education
Excerpt in Chinese:
第一， 还原历史真相，切实查明新冠流行原因与病毒源头，特别是查明并公开真实病患数据，向全体国民如实交代。 为此，需以“国务院白皮书”形式，载明其间央地政府所作所为，尤其是今年一月三号与一月七号两个时间节点的决策过程及其内容，说明为何及时向美国政府通报疫情，却对全体国民隐瞒撒谎，致令百姓毫无防范，死伤惨重。
Source: China Digital Times, May 20, 2020